Sunday, August 31, 2008

EAT: "Simply the Best".. Part 2: Crispy Okra Salad

It's been a while since part 1 of Simply the Best - my personal collection of most unique and special dishes - but jetlagged and bright awake at 4:45am I finally have the time to finish an entry that was started a long time ago - second installment of Simply the Best. So, for part 2, I am featuring crispy okra salad, Kararee Bhindi, at Dévi restaurant (website, NY Mag, map, one of my top 3 Indian restaurants btw), a recipe created by the restaurant's chef and owner Suvir Saran. It's uniqueness stems from the fact the it takes a fairly uncommon vegetable (by my standards at least) and uses it is in an unexpected way - fried - in combination with yummy Indian spices. It makes you go "who knew?". The second reason why it is perfect for being shared on this list is that despite its uniqueness and supreme yumhood, it is surprisingly easy to make - as I recently found out when I needed something to do with a pound of okra I got in Chinatown (for 50c!!). Here's a link to the recipe on Suvir's site. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment