Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Big Screen.


After a long hiatus - which is truly bizzare for me - I went to Sunshine Landmark to see one of the most unbearable, self-indulgent, ridiculous movies ever made - Synecdoche, New York.  Maybe I'm getting old and impatient, but when I spend 2 hours of my life in a movie theater, I expect more than a clever/cheeky concept and a few precious ideas sprinkled around.  

BUT the silver lining of that horrid experience was the preview of Waltz with Bashir, hat tip to VSL for reminding me of that today.  Looks really good.

While we're on the topic of movies, I was pleasantly surprised by the general quality of the Golden Globes nominations; like, I almost didn't realize what a good year it was in movies.   A few complaints though: (1) only 1 nomination for Milk - I think it deserved more (2) I can't decide if Vicky Christina Barcelona is supposed to have been a comedy or a musical, but the nominations committee clearly thinks it's one of the two (3) 24 is not a mini series (4) Meryl Streep - come on - 2 nods?  On a more constructive note, I definitely need to watch Frost/Nixon, Slumdog Millionaire, Doubt, The Reader, I've Love You So Long and, if the winter is very long, Revolutionary Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment