Tuesday, October 21, 2008

READ: Reverend Dreamy

Somehow the news of a California priest Rev. Jeffrey Farrow being ousted from the Catholic church for his opposition to Prop 8 completely escaped me until I read a letter to the editor of the Boston Globe about it. Naturally, the good juicy stuff is in the comments section:

If you don't like what the Catholic church teaches, don't be a member, its that simple.

Response: If you don't like gay marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex, it's that simple.

But back to the case of Mr. Farrow - how refreshing to see a man in the ranks of the Catholic church who puts conscience and compassion first and is not afraid to stand up to the backwards ideas of the Vatican.

"I know these words of truth will cost me dearly, but to withhold them . . . I would become an accomplice to a moral evil that strips gay and lesbian people not only of their civil rights but of their human dignity as well."
The statement from Fresno Bishop John Steinbock, on the other hand, reminds me why the Communists ( back when I was growing up) could never live harmoniously side by with the church - there just wasn't enough room for two ridiculous dogmatic ideologies.

"Your statement contradicted the teaching of the Catholic Church and has brought scandal to your parish community as well as the whole Church."

No comments:

Post a Comment